Have you just purchased a Brother printer, and are you about to connect the printer to your Mac computer? You might wonder that the steps are similar to that of configuring a Brother printer to a Windows computer. Well, not exactly. Setting up a Brother printer to a Mac is some what different.
There are two different modes in which you can add a Brother printer to your Mac computer based on the type of connection:
- A USB printer
- A Network printer
This section will guide you through the steps to connect a Brother printer to your Mac computer as a USB printer using Mac’s Printers and Scanners preferences.
(Note: The steps might vary depending on your Brother printer model)
- Step 1:Turn on the Brother printer and make sure you have configured the initial setup of the printer.
- Step 2:Take out the USB cable that came along with the printer and connect one of its ends to the Mac and the other end to the printer.
- Step 3:Turn on the Mac computer.
- Step 4:Click the Apple icon and select System preferences.
- Step 5:In the Hardware section, click the Print & Fax option.
- Step 6:The Print & Fax window will open. Here, on the left pane you will see a list of printers.
- Step 7:Select your Brother printer based on the model number and click the + icon just below the list.
- Step 8:Click the Default tab in the next window, and you will also see the selected Brother printer model. Now, click the Add button.
- Step 9:The Brother printer will be added to the Print & Fax section on your Mac.
- Step 10:Click the System Preferences menu and select Quit system preferences.
The Brother printer can be connected to your Mac computer as a Network printer using the Printer and Scanner preferences of Mac, as explained in the previous section. But here, you will get to know the procedure to connect the Brother printer to your Mac computer using the Brother Printer Software.
- Step 1: Plug the Brother printer to the power source and turn it on. Also, turn on your wireless router and make a note of its SSID and password.
- Step 2: Ensure that the initial setup of the printer has been done.
- Step 3: Open the Safari browser on your Mac.
- Step 4: Enter the Official Brother support page URL in the address bar and press the Return button.
- Step 5: In the search bar, type the Brother printer model number and press the Return button.
- Step 6: In the left pane of the printer’s support page, below the printer’s image, click the Downloads tab.
- Step 7: Select the Mac OS and the Mac version from the drop-down menu and click OK.
- Step 8: Click the driver to download it to your Mac computer.
- Step 9: Run the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Step 10: When the installation wizard prompts you to select the type of connection, choose the Wireless setup option.
- Step 11: Again, follow the instructions displayed on the installation wizard.
- Step 12: Now, you have to set up the Brother printer on the network (Please refer to the User manual on how to add the Brother printer to the network).
- Step 13: Once connected to the network, install the necessary printer software on your Mac.
- Step 14: Finally, the Brother printer will be added to your Mac computer as a network printer.