Optical drives are nothing but CD/DVD drives that are used for storing your important files and folders. You can also create ISO files and virtual discs, Rip DVD or Blu-ray movies, and Rip Audio CDs using the external optical drive. Before starting, insert your external disc drive into the computer's CD/DVD drive. Some Mac computers do not support optical drives by default. In such cases, you can share the files stored in the optical drive over the network. Carry out the below steps to know how do i use an external optical drive.
Steps to create ISO files and use virtual discs:
- Step 1: If you are dealing with software CDs, you can create ISO files and use them to install the software.
- Step 2: To create ISO files, you have to install a standard tool that can create ISO files. Some of the software are Infra Recorder, WinISO Maker, and ISO creator.
- Step 3: Once installed, verify whether you have properly inserted the optical drive (CD/DVD) into your computer's CD drive. Continue rading to know how do i use an external optical drive.
- Step 4: Open the CD drive and give a right-click on it.
- Step 5: Select the Create image from CD/DVD option from the pop-up menu. Doing so will create an ISO file.
- Step 6: If you wish to use the ISO files as a virtual disc, mount the ISO files as virtual disks by double-clicking them.
- Step 7: After creating the ISO file, you can remove the external optical drive and insert it into another computer.
Steps to access your external optical drives over the network on Windows:
- Step 1: On your Windows computer, install the CD or DVD sharing update.
- Step 2: Open the Control Panel app and select the Hardware and Sound option.
- Step 3: Click on DVD or CD Sharing Options and select the DVD or CD Sharing checkbox.
- Step 4: Next, open File Explorer and right-click the CD drive.
- Step 5: Choose the Properties option and click the Sharing tab.
- Step 6: Click the Advanced Sharing button and tick the Share this folder checkbox.
- Step 7: Give a name for your CD drive and click the Permissions button.
- Step 8: Make sure that every group on the network has Read access.
- Step 9: Also, check whether you have disabled password-protected sharing in the Network and Sharing Center.
- Step 10: Once verified, save the changes and determine the network path to access your CD drive. And finally know how do i use an external optical drive.