A factory reset (hard reset) --- on a Windows 10 computer --- restores all the settings and software on any device to the defaults. Resetting the device will also erase all the data and files stored on it. When performing the factory reset, you have the option to keep your files or remove them completely. However, on occasion, you can’t factory reset Windows 10 computer as expected due to some issues.
Before going to the troubleshooting steps, let’s have a look at the standard method to factory reset a Windows 10 device.
The standard method to factory reset a Windows 10 computer is by selecting the following options.
If you can’t factory reset Windows 10 computer using the standard method, carry out one of these solutions to resolve the problem.
Solution 1 - System Restoration
The system restoration will take your Windows 10 computer to an earlier state. It will not affect any personal files. But, it will delete all the applications, drivers, and updates that were installed after the system restore point was created.
To restore your Windows 10 computer from a system restore point, follow these steps.
- Step 1: Launch Control Panel on your Windows 10 computer.
- Step 2: Type Recovery in the search bar and press Enter.
- Step 3: Click Open System Restore . Next
- Step 4: Search for the restore point that you have created earlier and select it.
- Step 5: Select the Next option followed by the Finish option.
- Step 6: Note: If none of the restore points are seen, select the ‘Configure System Restore’ option in the Recovery window. Click the Configure option followed by the ‘Turn on system protection’ option. If still you can’t factory reset Windows 10, carry out the next solution method.
Solution 2 - Using A Recovery Drive
If you have created a Windows 8.1 recovery drive, perform the following to factory reset Windows 10.
- Step 1: Connect your recovery drive and turn on your computer.
- Step 2: Navigate to the ‘Choose an Option’ screen.
- Step 3: Click Troubleshoot Advanced Options System Restore Reset this PC Yes, repartition the drive.
- Step 4: This will re-install Windows 8.1 on the computer and all your personal files, applications, and drivers will be removed.
- Step 5: Note: While creating the recovery drive, make sure to back up your system files.
Solution 3 - Using Installation Media
If you have not created the recovery drive, you can use the installation media to factory reset the Windows 10 computer.
To do this, perform the following instructions.
- Step 1: Download the media creation tool from the official Microsoft website and launch it on your working computer.
- Step 2: Select the ‘Create installation media for another PC’ option.
- Step 3: Specify a language, edition, and architecture.
- Step 4: Carry out the on-screen steps to create the installation media.
- Step 5: Connect the created installation media to your Windows 10 computer.
- Step 6: Provide the required details on the initial setup screen.
- Step 7: Click Repair your computer . Troubleshoot Advanced Options System Restore Reset this PC
- Step 8: This will reinstall Windows 10. If still can’t factory reset Windows 10, follow the below steps.
Solution 4 - Return To Previous Windows Version
- Step 1: Open Settings on your Windows 10 computer.
- Step 2: Click Update & Security . Recovery Reset this PC
- Step 3: This will keep all your personal files. But, the applications and drivers that were installed after the upgrade will be deleted.
Solution 5 - Reset From Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)
If none of the solutions mentioned earlier could resolve the reset problem, try to perform Automatic repair from WinRE. To do this, carry out these steps.
- Step 1: Connect a USB drive to your Windows 10 computer.
- Step 2: Restart the computer.
- Step 3: Press the F12 key, choose the connected drive, and click the Next option.
- Step 4: Select Repair your computer Troubleshoot Advanced Options Automatic Repair.
- Step 5: After the repair process, perform a factory reset.
If you have been worrying why you can’t factory reset Windows 10 computer, carrying out any of the solutions we have provided here would have fixed the issue for you.